Thursday, May 17, 2007

saturday outing to 梧桐山/大梅沙

I’m quite glad I met Zhao Yi Ming coz on Saturday when he had an ex-schoolmate who just moved over to Shenzhen, he jio-ed me along to go out. I was quite glad for any fresh air other than work and home. And I’m quite glad for more company as well. Anyway, meet Zhao Yi Ming and his friend, Xiao Long.

Ok Xiao Long is not 小 in any way huh? Anyway, our first stop for the day was to go 梧桐山. While I said I was glad for any fresh air, what I failed to mention was on Thursday I went for a jog – my first jog in like eons (Hey, when you’re that bored, you’ll find things to burn the time ok?). So my leg muscles were aching like crap even before we started climbing. But the more we climbed the more my muscles warmed up and the aching subsided. As for Zhao Yi Ming and Xiao Long on the other hand these two were just simply unfit, so the three of us kept taking breaks in between. Xiao Long needed a cigarette at every stop. Think they completely dun exercise. At least I have Sunday soccer.

Anyway after much panting and resting we finally reached a 景点 or scenery spot. Here are some pics I took.


There was more to climb actually, but the other two really couldn’t make it liao, so we detoured and came to a temple in 仙湖. I realized the reason why we climbed the whole way was because the last time Zhao Yi Ming (btw, the Chinese like to 联名代性 one, so I’m just doing as the Chinese do) went to the place he realized you dun have to pay an entrance fee if you entered from 梧桐山. I thought that was strange pricing, like if you work hard enough and enter the place through the backdoor via a hill, you dun have to pay, if you are lazy and entered from the front door then you have to pay. But guess what, I think somebody realized this was weird pricing too, so decided to start charging if you enter from backdoor as well. So after all that hardwork of climbing the hill, we still had to pay anyway. Zhao Yi Ming was PISSED, but I just found it plain funny.

The temple was by no means impressive, but I guess you dun go China without visiting a temple at least right? Anyway, they got hungry so we exited 仙湖, which I thought was even funnier coz we didn’t even see the 湖, which made the entrance fee even more boh hua. But I guess hunger rules them all.




Lunch was dirt cheap, and the food was good. I’ve come to the conclusion Shenzhen food is good even at the shitiest of places. The place can really look like crap and really rundown but the food is always good. We were hot as hell so Zhao Yi Ming suggested we go to 大梅沙, which is essentially their beach and soak ourselves. Cool I thought, except we took such a long time to get there. Not because it was far, but coz there were so many stopovers. First I wanted to go back and change into something more comfortable and bring a change of clothes. (Ok lah, more importantly I really needed to pang sai and I dinch wanna do it outside. If you must know, the sai was long and hard ok?) Then the other 2 guys took so long to meet up again coz Xiao Long took a shower. Why you wanna take a shower before going to the beach is simply beyond me. Then Xiao Long’s friend, Li Mei, wanted to tag along so we went to her place first before going down together. But before we left, Xiao Long said he had a telephone interview coming, and was worried that there would be poor signal if we were on the road, so we waited at his friends house, which was odd, coz both me and Zhao Yi Ming didn’t know her at all, but she had no qualms, so of course we went with the flow. We chatted with her while waiting for the phone interview to be over. I found out Li Mei is doing what Jasmine does, she sells clothes on the internet, except she takes it to another level, she doesn’t sell on ebay and stuff, she has her own website and all and is apparently doing very well. She put some ideas across to Zhao Yi Ming and made him interested to get his own thing going. It made me realize she can do it because of the sheer market size of China anyway. Jas girl, if you’re reading this, brush up your Chinese and start a Chinese website man. You’ll be rich!

Finally after the phone interview was over we were on our way. By the time we reached it was 4 plus, which means we took 3.5 hours just to get there. We met more of Zhao Yi Ming’s friends there. The place was nice, except I wish I could see more of it. I couldn’t see a lot because of the sheer number of people there. Disappointing, coz there were hardly any chio bus. Not that I was on the look out, but it’s just an observation. There were too many obasans man. Which got me thinking and I realized I haven’t seen a single chio bu in my entire time in Shenzhen. Maybe I really dun have a thing for China Chinese girls. They just look too… Chinese for my liking. There are not even passable ones man. But on further analysis ok lah, the guys are not exactly Manhunt candidates either. 4 words can summarize them all – Si beh ah tiong.

The sea was a little crazy man, the waves were so big. That made it a little more fun, especially seeing Zhao Yi Ming trying desperately trying to learn how to swim. It was impossible to swim, even for me because the waves were just that huge. You can take ten strokes and a single wave will push you back to where you started. Zhao Yi Ming ended drinking more sea water than learning how to swim. I told him he was better off learning at a pool. At least the water wun be salty.

When we hit the showers, we had a choice of hot water or cold water. Of course I would have chosen the hot water if not for the fact you’d have to pay 6 sing dollars just to do that. The alternative was 6 yuan, so the math simply didn’t add up. The sign was totally wrong man. It was not hot water or cold water. It was cold water or ICE water. I barely showered. My years in NS didn’t even prepare me for this.

After much struggling and trying not to get my stuff wet, we finally headed for dinner, which turned out to be the highlight of the day! Li Mei brought us to this restaurant to eat pork leg soup and oysters. Again, at the risk of turning my blog into a food blog, here are some pictures.

The oysters are covered up by the 东粉 but trust me they were the bomb. I usually like my oysters fresh and uncooked, but the way they barbequed their oysters were simply awesome! This has got to be the best meal I had since I set foot in Shenzhen. But I think you can only eat lidat when there are many people to share. Either way, the damage was only 50 yuan or 10 sing. DIIIIIRRRRTTT CHEEEAAAPPP!

To end this post off, here’s a hilarious pic of Zhao Yi Ming in his trunks at the restaurant. Cockster thought he brought an extra pair of shorts so he went into the water at the beach in his shorts without changing into his trunks. Hence he had no choice but to wear his trunks and walk around after he showered. Sexaaayyy!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

muahahahha ur post was so hilarious baby!!! xiaohong is really not very xiao hehe...tsktsk...anw u looked so tired after u climbed the mountain cos all the photos u were like leaning on sth for support. haha